Tuesday, June 09, 2009

new feature in Library Thing reviews.

When discussing this feature in various forums, I have suggested that it might be very useful for book clubs, summer reading programs, staff reviews and other organized efforts. Initially I had thought that libraries and groups could establish a common login and share it with each other to access other reviews from the group, and the reviews could be output to a webpage, blog, or other established spot.

This morning I implemented a categorization feature in Library Thing reviews- patrons can now check a box if they want a review placed under their own account to be featured in a specific category- At this point they can choose to select from “summer reading”, “teen books”, and “learning journeys”. Take a look at any of the review links to see what it looks like. You’ll have to select “review this yourself” to see the new options.

While you’re there, write a review or two….

There aren’t any obvious limits on the amounts of categories that can be installed, so if you are interested in having a local book club or program at your library enabled as a review category, let me know. The output to your website is a snippet of HTML that can be installed easily. If I’m missing any obvious categories, let me know.

No comments: